Sunday, May 18, 2014

How to...

Every story is different. Therefore, the process of writing every story is different. Or at least it is for me. I was fortunate enough to spend a big chunk of my weekend in the company of my writing friends. I'm trying to get started, trying to get traction, on a new project. A new super sekrit (because I've no idea what it will actually turn out to be so I'm afraid to talk too much about it) writing project.

Part of my process, these days, is to surf links looking for The Answer. The answer on how to make writing easy. How to make the words flow. I find information and inspiration all over the place, and then I will often print it out and carry the pages with me like a security blanket. That way, when I start writing and I run into a problem, I can pull out those pages of wisdom and maybe something there will work the trick.

Hey. I need all the security I can get these days.

On the off chance that maybe you could use a little information and or inspiration yourself, here are some of the links I've gathered...

First, the best explanation I've come across yet for why procrastinators procrastinate. Not that I would know anything about that! (She said, as she started writing her blog at 10pm on the day it was due...)

And oh, look, here's something else I know nothing about--decision paralysis!

But once you get past the procrastination and the paralysis, you might need to know how to increase your output. This is a good place to start.

And once you've got the words flowing, this is a good place to look for help on building your story.

In the end, of course, the answer is to start writing.

Right now, for me, that's easier said than done...




5 comments:

  1. Good information, Yvonne. Thanks for sharing the wisdom you've found along the way. Now get your butt in that chair and write that super sekrit story. It's the only way you'll figure it out! Good luck. We have total faith in your talent and ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the link to Rachel Aaron's blog! Now if we could all do it.... Hmmm.... Keep chipping away at that sooper sekrit project. Your R8 buddies can't wait until it's not sekrit any more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mac and Nick, for the votes of confidence. LOL. I need those, along with my security blanket. And I'm glad you liked the link to Rachel Aaron's blog. I bought the book that resulted from that blog post and it's a good one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lordy, to think I was just lazy when all this time it was the Instant Gratification Monkey's fault! I think I'll feel relieved...tomorrow.

    Seriously, great links. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Write, write, write -- says the girl who's weeks behind. Great links!

    ReplyDelete