Sunday, February 21, 2016

Whatcha watchin'?

In the Christoff household, we love the late winter season, because even as the wind howls outside, we're cozy indoors, on the couch, with each other, our dogs, our favorite books, our must-watch movies, and new-to-view TV shows. And if you ask our opinion, this year, TV is better than ever. Here's what we can't wait to watch:

1) The X-Files Revival
Often imitated, but never duplicated, The X-Files starring David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson didn't just launch the careers of its stars. It launched the fledgling FOX network and a plethora of amazing writers, directors, and producers who would go on to mastermind more TV phenomena like Lost and Supernatural. But after a rocky conclusion to the original series and a rough start this time around, The X-Files are back in a big way, if only for a six-episode event, reminding us just how tenuous the truth can be and setting new records for FOX. David Duchovny is still the "spooky" Special Agent Mulder and Gillian Anderson has only grown in beauty, grace, and ability as Special Agent Scully. With inside jokes for X-Philes and cameos by beloved character actors, this isn't a show we watch On Demand or online. This is good, old-fashioned appointment television, and you'll know where the Christoffs will be every Monday night throughout the series.



2) Pretty Little Liars: Five Years Forward
Based on the Young Adult novels by Sara Shepard, this series about four girls who are cyberbullied after their clique's queen bee ends up dead, led moms and daughters to watch TV together like the entertainment industry hadn't seen in decades--and to break land speed records tweeting about every aspect of the story. When the show's writers wrapped up the main mystery and the characters' high school days last fall, however, many thought it signaled the end of the series. In an innovative move, though, the Liars are back, fresh out of college, and facing new threats together. All at once, the show has gone from YA to NA, just as its audience has, and the fit couldn't be better for the actresses, too, who are now well into their twenties. This is the power of strong writing, and in my house, we're loving every minute spent watching it.


PRETTY LITTLE LIARS-COMPLETE 1ST SEASON (DVD/5 DISC)

3) Detectorists
This British import from BBC Four features Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones as a pair of small-town misfits, armed with metal detectors and on the look-out for fame and fortune. Like the rest of us, however, they're truly searching for their heart's happiness, whether they know it or not. Always funny and often bittersweet, this show is for anyone who's hit a certain point in life, looked around, and realized this isn't the ride you signed up for. Will characters Andy and Lance find their true bliss? Mr. C and I certainly hope so, because that might mean there's hope for all of us.


So, that's what the Christoffs are watching this winter season. What's on your TV and why do you love it so?

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Nic! I was a huge X-Phile back in the '90s, and I think it's very cool that they brought the series back for a few episodes. I couldn't agree more with what you said about Gillian Anderson: she's amazing. I haven't watched PTL in a couple seasons, but after your review I may take it up again! :-) And I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't even heard of The Detectorists! I'll have to check that one out.

    I've been a unadventurous with my viewing lately, but I've been enjoying re-watching Veronica Mars (how awesome is Kristin Bell?!) and also the first season of Better Call Saul, as I'm incredibly excited about season two! :-)

    Thanks for the fun post! Great way to start the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Misha! I found Detectorists entirely by accident on my last trip to the UK. Flipping through the TV channels one evening, I landed on the Detectorists and paused because I recognized several of the actors, including Toby Jones. This was soon after his wonderfully creepy performance in Wayward Pines. That drew me in, but the dialogue, written by Mackenzie Crook, had me saying, "Well, well! What is this?" Back here in the States, I was thrilled to find it's available here! If you give it a try, enjoy! I suspect you'd get a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the plunge into the Supernatural world last fall, watching all 10 seasons on Netflix. Can't wait for season 11 to find its way there, too. Currently, I'm digging Arrow - it's superhero soap opera, and the writers are so, so, so excellent at making bad situations worse. I've also made my way through the entire Miss Fisher detective series. 1920s Australian adventurix? Sign me up!

    Last night Mx and Y and I pretended it wasn't a school night and saw Deadpool. Violent (I watched through my fingers during a few fights) and raunchy and funny and heartfelt. It was a wickedly satisfying origin story and, cherry on top, an HEA ending. A gazillion thumbs up.

    I lost track of X-Files about midway through the shows original run, but I remember it being the best thing on television for a good stretch of years. Once it hits Netflix, I'll be all over this new mini season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Keely,

      Personally, I stay away from Supernatural because it's soooo good. :-) I would binge and binge and my dogs wouldn't get to go outside and my husband would say, "Please shower" and my neighbors would report me missing because they'd never see me leave the house.

      I also love Miss Fisher, plus I just found a brand new incarnation of Agatha Christie's Tommy & Tuppence, produced in 2015, I believe. It's light in the love story , but the suspense is pretty awesome!

      Mr. C and I went to The Maltese Falcon revival and saw swath of teens headed for Deadpool. Many of them were making out. Kinda wonder what that says about the movie! Maybe I should check it out...

      Delete
  4. Hi Nichole - They sound interesting. I've been watching Mysteries at the Museum. I enjoy how they can bring something seemingly inane to life and make it interesting. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good show, Lisa. It always gets me thinking about the "past lives" of objects. And it's good fuel for the writer's mind, isn't it? Are any of the objects, or similar things, making their way into stories you're currently working on?

      Delete