Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Hustle and Bustle of the Christmas Season

Once Thanksgiving hits, there’s a mad dash to January. If you’re anything like me, you don’t have a moment to spare. Every December I struggle to do it all--the full-time job, the writing, the holiday shopping, the decorating, the baking and cooking, the usual juggling of family obligations, the Christmas parties, and so on and so on. Sigh. Just thinking about it all makes me tired. ‘Tis the season to be jolly and I feel like I can’t keep up. I’m sinking under the extra load of the holidays.
Every year, I’m determined not to do it and every year I do. It’s a crazy season. Some days I don’t feel sane. And, yet, most of it I wouldn’t give up. It’s a wonderful time of year filled with family, friends, good food, and lots of festitivies. We build memories. Give. Receive. Laugh. Play.

That’s what it’s all about. This past weekend, I found myself taking time out to relax and enjoy time with friends. It helped me destress, find perspective and build my community. It was a much needed break from the hustle and bustle of the season. I still shopped, ate good food, wrote, read--all the normal things I’d have done anyway, I just found a more relaxing way to do it; in the company of friends. It was a little thing really. But it helped me find an oasis of sanity in an otherwise insane season.

So what do you do? What tricks have you found to release stress and find moments of peace during the holiday season? As writers, what do you do to keep writing during this harried time? As working moms, how do you juggle it all? I’d love to hear your ideas.

Maybe we can all help each other gain a little joy and peace this Christmas.

14 comments:

  1. Holiday season does stress me. As a writer, it helps to have a short deadline to aim for so I don't get overwhelmed or lose steam. As a mom, I've already trained the family not to look at me for labor intensive moments. Hence I head to my brother's and enjoy his Xmas decorations, have the kids open their gifts at his house, enjoy his home cooking, and be pampered by him for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS a crazy season, Candy. And all designed to bring people peace and joy. LOL. I wish I had some tips for finding such things. Like you, the best thing I've done is connect with my writerly friends and that was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle -- LOL. That's a GREAT success tip! Where's your brother live again and does he have room? :-) Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I love it. Yes, allowing someone else to host the festivities would be helpful. And helping family members build appropriate expectations sounds like a great plan. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evie ~ Yes, connecting with your community of choice is one of the best ways I can think of keeping the peace and finding sanity this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just talking about this with my husband... about how crazy December is! Every year something on my list gets left off: holiday cards, setting up the miniature snow village, the New Year's photo calendar... I haven't decided yet which thing (or things) will get axed this year, but I'm going to try not to beat myself up too much about it. After all, as you said, Evie, it's all about the peace and joy, right? Happy Holidays, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill -- whatever you do, don't ax the snow village!! A person's a person, no matter how small . . . :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Evie, that's so funny. Yes, I agree with you Jill, sometimes you just need to decide what's less important and let it go. Then not beat yourself up about it. Excellent reminders. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh-oh. More to do...

    Christmas Task #457: Teach brother to cook and decorate so future relaxation can ensue.
    Christmas Task #458: Avoid miniature villages.
    Christmas Task #459: Do not get axed.

    Merry Christmas, Candy! Merry Christmas, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, Nicole. Laughter is another holiday stress buster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do I start? Nov and Dec are usually a blur to me. Luckily, my husband and child take care of the decorations or we'd all be sitting around a poinsettia in a dimly lit room on Christmas day. My whole focus as this year comes to an end is to reprioritize my life. I think I've hit maximum capacity in general. I'm pondering how I can do this, what I can get rid of and who I can delegate what to. My mom told me my grandmother used to get so overwhelmed when my mom was a kid, that she'd put my mom's presents in plain boxes, tell her not to peek and have my mom wrap her own presents. If I ever reach that level, someone please shake me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilarious, Lisa. Yeah, I'd be there, too. Kneeling at a poinsettia. I think the holiday tasks have in general always fallen to women. So we're in good company as we reprioritize, shuffle, angst, wrap, and bake those holiday to do lists.

    Yes, and New Years is right around the corner for goal-setting and reprioritizing our lives. I love the start of the year for that very reason--it's a time of reflection and new beginnings.

    Here's to a sane Christmas and a fresh new year for all of us! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually don't decorate, since I mostly go to my mom's at Christmas, but occasionally I break out the fake tree and have at it. And then I don't worry so much if I don't take it down until tax season. Make the joy last all year! LOL! Very Type B Christmas traditions at my condo...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice, Keely. Type B Christmas traditions are apparently laid back. Nice. I need to try some of those. Maybe not keeping my tree up until April, but some of the others. LOL!

    ReplyDelete