A change is as good as a rest. At least, that’s how the saying goes. I certainly hope it’s true, because really, now we're halfway through September and that means we're on a downhill slide to the end of the year. Who has time to take a vacation now? The kids might be back in school, but there’s still plenty to do.
If your shorts and sandals are blocking your closet’s sweater shelf, you’ll have to switch out your wardrobe. There’s fall cleaning, fallen leaves to clean up, and the fall furnace check. Your professor is expecting your thesis, your editor is expecting your manuscript, and your mother is expecting you for dinner. All in all, there’s no rest for the wicked and very little for the righteous no matter what time of year it is.
When life starts to wear you out, maybe that’s where change can come in handy. Now, I’m not talking big, momentous change. I’m talking about a small, occasional change in the things you have to do anyway. Just such a change can freshen your outlook and bring a bit of fun back to your life. Best of all, you control it which is more than we can say for that spring storm that ripped the shingles off your roof or the stray dog that dug up your dahlias.
To that end, here are my Top Five Ways A Change Can Be As Good As a Rest:
5. Don’t let the daily drive to work or school grind you down. Instead of sticking with those familiar roads—and the rut you’re in—take an alternate route tomorrow and don’t forget to enjoy the view.
4. Exchange your evening glass of chardonnay for pinot noir—or better yet, a Manhattan—and perk up those taste buds.
3. Switch that standard shower gel for something fruity-tootie or excitingly exotic. Just make sure it’s definitely different.
2. Pick a spice, any spice. Try adding it to a serving of your favorite dinner dish tonight.
1. Spend the night someplace else, whether that’s a B&B in Boston or a tent in your own backyard. You’ll wake up with a whole new frame of mind.
So what do you think? What life issues get you down? When they do, have you ever tried a fast, fun way to perk yourself up? What's your quick change?