Monday, January 3, 2011

Things Yet to Come

Last week, my family and I went to "A Christmas Carol" at Ford's Theater. The play was wonderfully directed and acted with a good theatrical interpretation of the visits by the Ghosts of Christmas.

This story always makes me think about my own past, present and future. I'm reminded of regrets, accomplishments and upcoming events as each ghost makes their entrance. It's a good story to mull over at the end of the year because it fits into the New Year's Eve notion of reviewing the year past and planning for the one ahead.

Regarding my writing, there are times that I wished that I'd written when I could have instead of wasting time. The sense of pride I felt at participating in NaNoWriMo and coming away with more words written in a month than I'd ever done before. The exciting promise of the story I've started and hope to finish soon.

"A Christmas Carol" shows us that it's never too late, no matter what you've done in the past. The power to change the course of your life lies within you. Or, in the case of writers, in your fingertips. So, here's to a year of productivity if for no other reason than you don't want the "Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come" visiting you.

Seriously, I saw him. You don't want that pointed in your direction.

4 comments:

  1. Eek! That finger is pointed at me RIGHT NOW! LOL! Got to get my groove back . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now those are words from the wise! May you finish that new WIP in 2011, Lisa! And may we all follow your example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the analogy, Lisa. And on that note, I'm ready to move ahead to deliberate action and positive results for 2011 and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this quote on the WRW loop recently (thanks to Karna Small Bodman for reminding me of it): It's never too late to be who you might have been. George Eliot

    Seems pretty hopeful for the New Year, don't you think? Here's to a fantastic, productive and merry 2011!

    ReplyDelete