A change is as good as a rest. At least, that’s how the saying goes. I certainly hope it’s true, because really, now we're halfway through September and that means we're on a downhill slide to the end of the year. Who has time to take a vacation now? The kids might be back in school, but there’s still plenty to do.
If your shorts and sandals are blocking your closet’s sweater shelf, you’ll have to switch out your wardrobe. There’s fall cleaning, fallen leaves to clean up, and the fall furnace check. Your professor is expecting your thesis, your editor is expecting your manuscript, and your mother is expecting you for dinner. All in all, there’s no rest for the wicked and very little for the righteous no matter what time of year it is.
When life starts to wear you out, maybe that’s where change can come in handy. Now, I’m not talking big, momentous change. I’m talking about a small, occasional change in the things you have to do anyway. Just such a change can freshen your outlook and bring a bit of fun back to your life. Best of all, you control it which is more than we can say for that spring storm that ripped the shingles off your roof or the stray dog that dug up your dahlias.
To that end, here are my Top Five Ways A Change Can Be As Good As a Rest:
5. Don’t let the daily drive to work or school grind you down. Instead of sticking with those familiar roads—and the rut you’re in—take an alternate route tomorrow and don’t forget to enjoy the view.
4. Exchange your evening glass of chardonnay for pinot noir—or better yet, a Manhattan—and perk up those taste buds.
3. Switch that standard shower gel for something fruity-tootie or excitingly exotic. Just make sure it’s definitely different.
2. Pick a spice, any spice. Try adding it to a serving of your favorite dinner dish tonight.
1. Spend the night someplace else, whether that’s a B&B in Boston or a tent in your own backyard. You’ll wake up with a whole new frame of mind.
So what do you think? What life issues get you down? When they do, have you ever tried a fast, fun way to perk yourself up? What's your quick change?
I just switched up where I write at home for the last week and I'm loving the results!ReplyDelete
I'm looking forward to doing a closet detox in the next few weeks - less clutter in the house ALWAYS gives me a new perspective on life - and a better attitude!
Awesome changes, Keely! Sometimes, I move from my desk to the table in the next room, and as simple as that is, it never fails to freshen my outlook. And clearing that clutter for a better perspective? I hear ya! Great suggestions. Thanks for sharing!Delete
Love this post! My favorite change-up is the music I'm listening to: make it a little more peppy, or a little more serene, depending on how I'm feeling. It's a great mood-influencer.ReplyDelete
Thanks for the post! So important to remember that a little change can make a huge difference. :-)
Changing your music is an awesome suggestion, Misha. Thanks for sharing! Sometimes, when I'm worn out, just having some Jazz or Classical music going can reset my frame of mind. It's as good as a rest!Delete
This is great! I always feel energized when I do something new. Doing a clean out is good for the soul as well.ReplyDelete
It's amazing how little changes can make a big difference. Thanks for stopping by to comment, Lisa!Delete